Sunday 3 October 2010

We can all remember the last gig we went to but what was the greatest?

Just about everyone I know has been to see live music at some time in their lives ad some of us are still active in watching live music.
The last gig that we went to should be memorable - in my case Mama Rosin in a cramped and noisy bar in Camden Town on Friday last; it was hot, loud and wonderful and the music was great - but over the years I would guess that we all have memories of a certain show or a festival or an event that is the one that is always there in our minds when we want to remember a special time and put us in a happy place.

The reason for remembering THAT gig is ging to be different for each of us but it is those differences that make it all fun - was it the music or the atmosphere or was it something intangible that makes the memory so special?

How about you all email me or comment me back with the top three gigs that you have been to and what made them so special.

I'll kick it off with these three:

  • Van Morrison at the Rainbow - I would guess July 1973 - he had his full Caledonia Soul Orchestra with him and the atmosphere was past electric - he got called back twice, very reluctnatly, for encores
  • Fania Allstars at the Lyceum - Stevie Winwood was guesting and I'll never forget seeing Celia Cruz in all her finery. The place was heaving and the temperature was hitting dangerouslyhigh levels but the band was awesome and the dancing was magnificent
  • Grateful Dead at Wembley Arena - Halloween 1990. The band were past their best - musically not as good as I'd seen them either at th Rainbow or Alexander Palace - and they had Warren Zevon on piano but Jerry Garcia was steaming, just out of rehab I think, and they encored with 'Werewolves Of London' and the sight of 9000 deadheads all throwing their heads back on the chorus "Awoooooooh Yeah, Werewolves of London!" was electric. The look on the Wembley locals faces as all these freaks came out singing was wonderful.
I can think of hundreds of other great gigs in London but these three put the biggest smile in my memory - what about you?

2 comments:

  1. Since I've had some problems logging in my reply to your previous entry, let me say that I regret the disappearance of rock places too. I still remember seeing the Faces at the Kilburn State Theatre, back in December '74. Sadly no longer there. Is is a bingo place now? Oh... Anyway, I see you've failed to mention the Little Feat/Doobie Bros. Warner Bros tour of late '70s you've been drooling about ever since. Well, my memory is not that good either. Favourites of mine: Cream reunion, RAH 2005; CSNY live in Boston 2000; Robyn Hitchcock at the Town & Country 1987 and, yes, the Incredible String Band homage at the Barbican, 2009. You were there Andy, you won't let me lie... Cheers. Alfredo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Offspring - Highbury Garage 1999. Biggest band in the world at the time just before they released Americana, and they crammed 350 people into the Garage for £3 a ticket.
    Rage Against the Machine - Finsbury Park 2010. Yes, it's a very recent gig, but it was the victory over x-factor gig. The band showed themselves to have a sense of humour, I got to see someone choked out right in front of me (don't try breaking into a free show people) and the mosh was awesome fun. Oh, and the band were shit hot. Of course, the journey home wasn't quite as much fun.

    ReplyDelete